arch fun.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 16:39:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:07:13AM -0500, Prarit Bhargava wrote:

 > Dave Jones wrote:
 > >  > 2.  Will we eventually rename kernel-PAE.686 to kernel.686?
 > >
 > > I don't think we can, otherwise someone with non-PAE 686's who
 > > does an update will suddenly find themselves unable to boot.
 > >

 > Hi Dave,
 >
 > I was thinking about this for a little while.
 >
 > Can't we do this instead:
 >
 > 1.  move kernel-PAE.686 config options to kernel.686 (I'm going to refer
 > to this as the "new" kernel.686)
 > 2.  kill kernel-PAE.686
 > 3.  modify the spec file for the "new" kernel.686 to obsolete
 > kernel-PAE.686 ?
 >
 > I'm probably missing something obvious but having PAE in there seems
 > strange to me.

It's still the same upgrade problem.
Someone will be going from 'kernel' with no PAE to 'kernel' with PAE,
and on a CPU without PAE, that means they can't boot any more.
In that situation they need to go 'kernel'(i686) to 'kernel'(i586)
which aparently the tools already handle.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk