arch fun.

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 17:23:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 11:39 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

> It's still the same upgrade problem.
> Someone will be going from 'kernel' with no PAE to 'kernel' with PAE,
> and on a CPU without PAE, that means they can't boot any more.
> In that situation they need to go 'kernel'(i686) to 'kernel'(i586)
> which aparently the tools already handle.

I'm missing something...

Is there really that much additional work that we can't keep the UP/SMP
kernel around for the time being? If PAE were default installed in F11
for everyone and it were publicly announced that support for non-PAE was
dying in F12, I think you could get away with just renaming the kernel -
after all, other kernel features do change over time that break older
systems.

Jon.