Problems with CD-RW/DVD and USB

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Dec 4 23:26:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 17:06 -0600, Erick Muller wrote:
> Hi list, I have serious problems with my CD-ROM reader and my USB, I
> think all due to the Automount function, I don't know what happened but
> suddenly they don't work anymore I only put new devices and that's
> all...  I know this sounds very weird but is true. At first I thought I
> was wrong when I change from a CD-ROM to another and simply didn't work,
> but today it happened the same with my USB device, this time I even
> can't charge my iPod it appears like the USB is death. I don't know what
> to do. My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad R51 and I use Core 5 and kernel
> 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 (I tried updating the kernel but the only thing that
> change is that the messages don't appear now using dmesg, only when I
> use kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)

I'd suggest filing a bug against the kernel... or try upgrading to
Fedora Core 6 if possible? You could try the new Fedora 6 Live CD beta
to test if your hardware works with that kernel too... Live CD is
available on the Torrent, see

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD

for details. Thanks.

     David