Problems with CD-RW/DVD and USB

Erick Muller emuller at it21mx.com
Mon Dec 4 23:06:55 UTC 2006

Hi list, I have serious problems with my CD-ROM reader and my USB, I
think all due to the Automount function, I don't know what happened but
suddenly they don't work anymore I only put new devices and that's
all...  I know this sounds very weird but is true. At first I thought I
was wrong when I change from a CD-ROM to another and simply didn't work,
but today it happened the same with my USB device, this time I even
can't charge my iPod it appears like the USB is death. I don't know what
to do. My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad R51 and I use Core 5 and kernel
2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 (I tried updating the kernel but the only thing that
change is that the messages don't appear now using dmesg, only when I
use kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)

The results from dmesg | tail are:

For the CD-ROM thing:

ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  No reference position found (media may be upside down) -- (asc=0x06,
ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
  "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

For the USB:

usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 53
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 55
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 56
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 106
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 110
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 118
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 125
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 33
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 42

Thank you very much, I hope someone could help me as I'm really
desperate

Regards,

Erick Müller