Slow transfer rates in a Thinkpad R52

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 13:27:06 UTC 2006

Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad R52. It is a Celeron 1.4 Ghz, 256 RAM, Intel 915
> video, sata hdd 40 GB, DVD-CDRW, etc.
>
> The thing, is that when I transfer files from the/to the CDrom, the whole
> system (even the mouse) gets really slow.
>
> This is the model of my sata controller reporte by lspci:
>
> Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
>

> Another thing, is that the hdparm program, can't change the UDMA settings. It
> says that my drives doesn't have udma, but it really has.
>
> [root at localhost ~]# hdparm -c /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>
> [root at localhost ~]# hdparm -c1 /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
>  HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>
> Also, when the system start using swap, it start to slow (a lot, but not as
> much as when I read/write from/to the CDrom).
>
> This is the list of the modules I found relevant from lsmod:
> i2c_i801               11853  0
> i2c_core               25537  2 i2c_ec,i2c_i801
> ide_cd                 42337  2
> cdrom                  38625  1 ide_cd
> ahci                   23365  0
> ata_piix               17993  3
> libata                102745  2 ahci,ata_piix
> sd_mod                 24897  20
> scsi_mod              138601  4 sg,ahci,libata,sd_mod
> ext3                  135497  1
> jbd                    63081  1 ext3
> ehci_hcd               35533  0
> ohci_hcd               25181  0
> uhci_hcd               27725  0
>

> I hope someone can help me... I couln't find the problem...
>
> See ya!
>
> PS: I will send transfers rates under determined actions later...

Maybe the SATA driver for this chipset is know to have bugs with DMA (or
when CDROMs are attached to it) and disabled them by default?

But i'm not a kernel expert, so someone with more and deeper knowledge
of the drivers would have to comment on that.

Have you tried running the laptop without the CDROM, just in case?

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111