iwl3945 - any hints with F7?

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:16:13 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at ...> writes:

> > Does anyone have iwl3945 working well and consistently with F7?

> I use it for a few months on my Dell D420 Fedora 7 box which uses this
> driver and firmware. Works out of the box with no problems. However I
> have heard some reports of this not working reliably for others.
>
> You have the alternative of using the older driver with a proprietary
> daemon. You would have to get it from another repository however.

Thanks Rahul - I have been using the older driver with proprietary daemon
in FC6 for quite a while and it has been great.
When the 2.6.22 kernel came in for FC6 I did manage to get the new driver
going but only by leaving the interface definition with "onboot=no" and
adding a line to rc.local to start the interface. I also had to blacklist
iwl3945 to get it working with this method which is not satisfactory -
it is quite possible that other parts of the system are more up to date
in F7 and that it will work with the Samsung hardware in this machine -
maybe I will just have to bite the bullet and try!  However it is my
wife's machine and she relies on it just working on bootup - so I had
better be sure it works before taking it offline for install!