Wireless Ethernet Setup

Dan Morozov dan.home at araneo.com
Sat Jan 6 17:53:42 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

I have Toshiba a100-847 with Intel 3945ABG wifi device.
My wifi works just fine.

I have: 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6xen kernel.
I installed:

1. ieee80211-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6xen-1.2.15-14.fc6.at.i686.rpm
2. ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.at.i386.rpm
3. ipw3945-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6xen-1.1.0-15.fc6.at.i686.rpm
4. ipw3945-ucode-1.13-2.at.noarch.rpm
5. I needed to copy the modules into a new updated Kernel (after system
update with yum).

After this:
1.modprobe ipw3945
2.ipw3945d

Now you should see after "ifconfig" a new device, probably "eth1".
I didn't succeeded to configure a wifi with "Control Center Manager",
but after using "iwconfig", it's working just fine.

So:

1. "iwlist scanning": will show you existing wifi networks.
2. "iwconfig eth1 essid Frick": Frick is my wifi network name
3. "iwconfig eth1 key 92b3-ff03-4c26-377d-53ab-a2a4-c4": It's my WAP key

Good luck,
Dan