Dial-up netwroking on HP Pavilian

S. Feldman sdf at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Jan 7 20:39:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

With this group's fabulous assistance, I have my HP Pavilian 8280's
IPW3945ABG wireless card successfully accessing the internet when I take it
out to the library, etc.

However, from home, I want to be able to at least connect via PPP on the
built-in modem, but I cannot get it to even see the modem, apparently.
(FWIW: Windows XP does see this modem and connect OK.)

I was using the GUI for setting up the network, but was also playing around
directly with the wvdial.conf file and running wvdial; I believe that the
problem is that I am not selecting the right device, but no matter which
one I keep getting told "Can't find modem" or the like.

Has anyone used dial-up modem connectivity here?

TIA,

Steve

sdf at alum.rpi.edu