f9 on the Asus EEE PC (resume and additional keys)

Sven Lankes sl at killefiz.de
Sat Apr 19 21:44:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have installed Fedora 9 rc on an Asus EEE 701. This has been quite
successful. A lot of things work out of the box or with minimal
tweaking.

There are two things that don't work for me and where I am out of
knowledge and/or google juice to fix them. Maybe someone has an idea or
a pointer for me there.

The first issue I have is the resume:

The machine suspends fine but doesn't resume successfully. The screen
stays black on resume. It seems that it is still doing something as
pushing the power button after a failed resume suspends the machine
again (suspends as in the power led starts blinking again).

There is an entry in the fdi suspend-quirks database for the 701 which
activates the quirks for s3_bios and dpms_on and the eee seems to
suspend fine for others running other distributions or even f8
(eeedora). I have tried some other quirks and also pm-suspend without
any quirks but the result is always the same.

The second issue is how to map some of the additional keys to do
anything useful. The asus patch for the eee is included in the fedora
kernel rpm so there seems to be no need for a patched acpi_asus.ko.
Screen-brightness control works (fn + f3/f4) and suspend (fn + f1) work
and according to the wiki page at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc
the others should do at least something too (no idea what 'needs gconf
tweaks' refers to).

Pushing e.g. the mute-button does not generate any dmesg output and
nothing in xev either.

Any hints are appreciated.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net