problem with ALPS touchpad (Toshiba Satellite) and Gsynaptics

udutronik Tronik udutronik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:39:29 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the linux world, been trying various distros for 6 months
and recently switched to Fedora.
I'm really enjoying this distribution and the community that surrounds it
and so far, i've been able to make eveything work perfectly on my toshiba
satellite laptop.

Everything but... my touchpad! I want to be able to use it but with tapping
disabled.

It is viewed as ALPS Glidepoint device in Fedora's devices

I've not been able to make it happen, I tried:
- installing gsynaptics, but it wont start, giving me the message :
"GSynaptics couldn't initialize. You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in
xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics"
- I've looked into /etc/X11/xorg.conf but there is no reference to synaptics
touchpad
- i've pasted this sample config lines into xorg.conf with SHMConfig = true
with no luck...
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

in other distros, all i had to do was edit this xorg.conf... but what about
Fedora?

Thanks for your help...