Fedora 8 install failure

Anders Hartman andha at melerit.se
Wed Feb 27 14:18:57 UTC 2008

Chris Snook skrev:
> Anders Hartman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Fedora 8 x86_64 on my HP Compaq 8710p laptop.
>> The DVD boots fine, I tell the install to do a new install, come to
>> the blue screen that
>> loads some drivers and end up at the disk check requester. After the
>> check is done (or skipped),
>> /sbin/loader blows me away with a SIGSEGV error and shuts down the
>> system.
>>
>> I have also tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 and OpenSUSE 10.3. They
>> install and works flawlessly.
>> However, I'm a Fedora guy ;-)
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Some system facts:
>>
>> Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz
>> 4 GB RAM
>> ST9120823AS hard disc
>> NVIDIA Quadro NVS 320M graphics card
>> TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M
>> Intel 82566MM Gigabit LAN
>> Intel WiFi Link 4965AG
>>
>> Additional info
>>
>> The Fedora 8 KDE LIVE CD/DVD seems to boot up just fine. Can't make a
>> clean (swedish) install with this though.
>
> I had some nasty problems, quite similar to this, using the F8 x86_64
> graphical installer on a few boxes with Nvidia cards.  The text
> installer worked fine though, and the problem went away when I made a
> respin with revisor that used newer packages.  Try the Fedora Unity
> respin.
>
>     -- Chris

Hello Chris,

I have now tried the following with Fedora 8 Unity 20080204 respin:

Install with graphical UI.
Install with text UI.
Install with text UI using kernel modifiers (noprobe, headless, noapic,
acpi=off) one at the time.
Use boot.img from the DVD to do a text install over the network.

I'm getting a stack dump all the time.

The kernel seems to be alive though. Alt-F2,Alt-F3 and Alt-F4 still
works. I can't see any trace of
what went wrong in anacron.log or syslog.

Booting up in rescue mode from the DVD also works.

I wonder what's missing in Fedora that OpenSUSE and Ubunto has.

More things to try?

Digging deeper and deeper
/Anders