Fedora Queries for Laptop

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Fri May 30 22:52:01 UTC 2008

The only areas where I tend to have problems with Fedora (and other
Linux distros) is:

1. ACPI related issues (sleeping -- or waking up after a sleep to be
more accurate)
2. Audio *in* -- audio out always works, but getting the mic to work
for skype etc is very, very, very, very hard. For me anyway.

Re playing video etc -- the secret is to install the right software.
Redhat have a very strict open source / no patent policy, so a fresh
Fedora install would seem useless when it comes to playing the most
popular formats out there (MPEG despite being an "open" standard is
riddled with patent issues).

Go to http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
and install software such as mplayer  and you then have capabilities
that would far exceed what comes bundled with Windows and Mac.

The only other problem I've encountered is playing (deliberately)
broken DVDs: there are a few free Windows players  which work with
Wine (Windows emulator). Takes a bit of work to get them working, but
googling around you'll find many tutorials on this.

Finally: remember that with modern hardware you can run virtual
machines with almost no performance penalty. So the few bits of
Windows software that you really need to run and that won't work with
Wine -- just create a  Windows VM and run them in a window (you'll
need an Windows install CD/DVD and a licence key to get started)   The
only thing I havn't yet achieved is to run a virtual Mac :-(  That
would be nice.

J.