Fedora Queries for Laptop

gene geneh at shaw.ca
Fri May 30 23:57:03 UTC 2008

Don't get an Epson scanner.. I used to have a perfection 1650 and it worked
great with Linux, but I had to replace it and my V200 photo hardly works.
I installed the proper driver but it will only scan in two resolutions.
300dpi is one of them which is fine but I also need 600dpi and the driver
won't do it.  I had to install a Windows VM who's sole purpose in life is
to scan.

I also have a USB drive which gives me no problems.

On Fri, 30 May 2008 23:52:01 +0100, Joe Desbonnet <joe at galway.net> wrote:
> The only areas where I tend to have problems with Fedora (and other
> Linux distros) is:
>
> 1. ACPI related issues (sleeping -- or waking up after a sleep to be
> more accurate)
> 2. Audio *in* -- audio out always works, but getting the mic to work
> for skype etc is very, very, very, very hard. For me anyway.
>
> Re playing video etc -- the secret is to install the right software.
> Redhat have a very strict open source / no patent policy, so a fresh
> Fedora install would seem useless when it comes to playing the most
> popular formats out there (MPEG despite being an "open" standard is
> riddled with patent issues).
>
> Go to http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
> and install software such as mplayer  and you then have capabilities
> that would far exceed what comes bundled with Windows and Mac.
>
> The only other problem I've encountered is playing (deliberately)
> broken DVDs: there are a few free Windows players  which work with
> Wine (Windows emulator). Takes a bit of work to get them working, but
> googling around you'll find many tutorials on this.
>
> Finally: remember that with modern hardware you can run virtual
> machines with almost no performance penalty. So the few bits of
> Windows software that you really need to run and that won't work with
> Wine -- just create a  Windows VM and run them in a window (you'll
> need an Windows install CD/DVD and a licence key to get started)   The
> only thing I havn't yet achieved is to run a virtual Mac :-(  That
> would be nice.
>
> J.
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>> Jigar Sutaria wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Dell Inspiron with all latest configuration. I want to know
>>
>> In the Linux world, the phrase "all latest configuration" is a
> meaningless
>> one.  See below.
>>
>>> following work with Fedora or not
>>> If they are working any configuration required or not (Any document
>>> reference that can help me knowing this)
>>>  1. Bluetooth data/voice
>>> 2. USB Flash Drive
>>> 3. USB Hard Drive
>>> 4. Playing Movies VCD/DVD