2nd mouse on Dells = erratic window manager behavior?

Jeff Weston Jeffery.Weston at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Apr 14 15:45:48 UTC 2009

Since about Fedora 8, and definitely in Fedora 9 and 10, there has been a problem
with the window manager on Dell Latitude laptops with two mouse inputs (touch
pad and joystick-style).  Occasionally, it will do very strange things when you
use the joystick-style mouse (the touchpad works perfectly though) ... maximize
windows while you're moving them, double-click files you're trying to move,
leave selections on the desktop that can't be removed via a refresh, and once
in a while, it will actually lock X up hard, requiring the old
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  This behavior may be more common when using the joystick
Mouse with the touchpad's buttons, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if this is a dupe, I didn't know exactly what to search for.  And like I
said, it's been there a while, though I realize that a laptop with two built-in
mouse interfaces is somewhat uncommon...

Also submitted as Bugzilla bug #488836, with no acknowledgement in 6 weeks...

Thanks,
-Jeff Weston