build

Michael Kohne mhkohne at discordia.org
Sat Dec 6 19:49:34 UTC 2003

Wade Maxfield said:
[snip]
>   I've muddled through a RedHat build on X windows to write a custom
> driver for a touch screen to work, modified from another driver.  Rather
>  cryptic understanding what they mean sometimes in the source code, but
> the  examples made things clear with time and mistakes.
>

>   However, I've never understood the RedHat build model.  I get the
> kernel
> source and there are dozens of patch files.  HUH?  Do I need them?

[snip]

Part of what you are probably trying to understand is the underlying model
that 'rpm' uses. The quick synopsis is that rpm works on 'clean sources'.
When you unpack a source rpm, you get the original clean sources, plus
patches. The rpm build process is to unpack the clean sources, apply the
patches, build from that.

I recommend Maximum RPM for a good overall look at what RPM is trying to
accomplish, and a good idea of how it does so. Be VERY aware, however,
that rpm has evolved quite a bit since this book was written, and
therefore not everything in it precisely correct anymore.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

I don't have my notes from the last time I added a patch to a redhat
kernel rpm handy right now, but if you like I could find them Monday and
write them up for you.

Michael Kohne        mhkohne at discordia.org
"You should be smarter than the equipment you are trying to operate." --
Matt Osborne