Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

Chris Spencer cspencer at cait.org
Mon Dec 8 15:10:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 02:17, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> > > You can copy the code you get from RHN to any machine you want.
> > >  This, though, will invalidate your service agreement so RH can
> > > prevent you from getting NEW code *via* RHN.  This will also
> > > invalidate any SLA you have with RH.
> >
> > As well as open you up to lawsuit by Red Hat for lost revenue at some
> > pretty heafty price points.
>
> I don't believe that one bit. Legal precdedence works downward, not
> upward:
>
> $DIETY
> US Law
> GPL
> RedHat SLA
>
> If someone lower on the chain breaks a rule/law/precept higher on the
> chain, the group lower on the chain loses. Or as a lawyer I know put it,
> "Herein fail at your peril".

If you steal RedHat work which is covered under the SLA then you could
be fined.  RedHat makes it very clear what you have to pay for and what
you don't.

RHEL is not a free product.  You are not free to copy it from computer
to computer.

It is the packaged artwork and possibly some of the configuration
utilities that make it non-free.  Strip those out and you can do as you
like.

-Chris

"There is a lot of speculation and I guess there is going to continue to
be a log of speculation until the speculation ends." - George W. Bush on
October 18, 1998