RPM upgrade discussion

Wade Maxfield maxfield at one.ctelcom.net
Tue Dec 30 19:19:13 UTC 2003

  I've been forced to upgrade to the rpm-4.1.1-1.8x package from rpm.org
to make redhat 8 play nice and survive more than 3 or 4 update cycles
without freezing.

  I don't think we need to go to 4.2 rpm, but the 4.1 rpm update is a
must, based on personal experience with several machines.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Christian Pearce wrote:

 > Hello.  I am new to the list and I just got up to speed.  I am hoping
to contribute in every way possible.

 > I have to agreed with this as well.  If Yum-1.x in functional for
 updating 7.x machines and rpm 4.0.4 is stable then let sleeping dogs lie.
 This does raise the question of Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 9.  Are they
 unstable enough to warrant an upgrade?  Quite frankly I don't have enough
 recollection to say either way.  I know for a fact I sometimes run into
 problems with Red Hat 8.0 that requires me to kill rpm upgrades and
 remove database files.  So this is what I assume people are talking
 about.  Again I think there should be one way of doing this.  So if we
 aren't going to upgrade 7.x machines because they are good enough.  And
 the Fedora Core 1 rpm binary package is stable.  Then we should make the
 Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 9 (if it is a problem i don't know) edge cases
 that can be handled as a decision to be made by the end user.  This also
 would follow the spirit of the Fedora Legacy framework as Jesse stated
 below.  Not to mention people should work to phase out their Red H!
 > at 7.x - 9 installations.  So I hope in a couple years this becomes a
 mute talk.  This leads me to the following question.  Can we provide the
 rpm package as a extra or crontrib package?  I apologize for my lack of
correct terminology I am still getting up to speed.