RPM upgrade discussion

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Dec 30 22:57:33 UTC 2003

> I am more of an end user lurker, but would like to contribute where and
> when I can. So far I have been able to follow the threads without much
> difficulty and am a pretty avid computer tech.
>
> I run RedHat 9 on a dedicated server (not 100's of servers like some of
> you) and I was wondering in what areas I could "study up" to be a help
> to this group.

Pick an RPM package that contains a service/server like httpd, OpenSSH,
sendmail, BIND, etc (I can put together a semi-exhaustive list if you
want). Join the development list for that application. Don't worry if it
all looks like greek to you, you'll be deleting most of what you see
anyway. Just scan each mesage for things like "security patch" or
"insecure" or "show stopper" etc. If you see anything like that, notify
this list and we'll get someone on it. That saves us from having to eat up
all of our time monitoring a zillion lists.

*IMPORTANT NOTE* Seeing a security thread on a dev list is not license to
go running around screaming that the sky is falling. Usually those threads
don't go anywhere.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

"You know what you get after putting 30 years into a company? You're
 looking at it." -Downsized CIO of a major insurance carrier.