[Fedora-legacy-list] rpm 4.2, apt 0.5.5cnc6, yum 2.0.4 for all RH platforms >= 7.3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 2 10:45:36 UTC 2003

You can test the above for RH7.3, RH8.0, RH9 and FC1 from

http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/rpm/
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/apt/
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/yum/
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/atrpms/

(rpm 4.2 provided only for RH <= 9, as FC1 carries 4.2.1)

Some dependencies may arise to other packages available on atrpms
(elfutils comes to mind), depending on the distribution.

Don't use production machines, and be aware of the everlasting rpm
lock bug [1].

Feedback is welcome (I have had success reports from all versions, but
reports for RH7.3 are scarce). If these are confirmed to really work
well, especially rpm and yum would benefit from the version
consolidation (and hopefully result to proper RH errata for rpm).

The elder RH releases would benefit from better support thus.

[1] http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/
    In case of any trouble try
    rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 rpm --rebuilddb

    I'd suggest to run it after before/upgrading anyway.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de