[Fedora-legacy-list] System

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 5 13:30:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 17:43, Ingo T. Storm wrote:

> - package maintainership: I share the view that there won't be that many
> packages that need errata. A quick scan over the last 6 months of errata to
> RH7.3 revealed: little over 1 weekly erratum that touches the kernel, core
> OS functionality (e.g. fileutils, unzip) or crucial network services (squid,
> openssh, apache). So it's no use assigning maintainers to the 800+ SRPMS
> RH7.3 is built of. I'd rather have pairs or triples of people with certain
> dutys and/or skills so that vacations or job burdens don't let a high
> profile exploit be unnoticed by the project for too long. Two/three people
> should be on vendor-sec. In addition two/three people should monitor mailing
> lists of each "functionality group" like e.g. "apache/php/mysql/postgresql",
> "openssl/openssh", "core utilities", "kernel/netfilter".  If and ONLY if you
> have too many volunteers, add mozilla, evolution, xfree86, gnome, kde... The
> potential backporters need not be identical with the monitors. I'd rather
> favor that all the "backporters" maintain a personal wiki page with their
> skills/experiences, "last job done", current and expected spare time, so
> that the "monitors" have a pool to chose from.

Another thing to keep in mind -- in many cases, the backport work will
already be done by Red Hat, for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1.  So in
many cases it will just be QA'ing that package (retrieved from the SRPM
archive) on 7.3.  (RHEL 2.1 is based on 7.2 and has most of the same
features as 7.3.)

--Jeremy