Call for comments - RPM upgrade

Josko Plazonic plazonic at Math.Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 12 14:42:27 UTC 2003

Barry K. Nathan wrote:

>It might be a few days before I get a chance to test and post a very
>detailed example, but here's one possibility (not yet tested, but I
>think it should reproduce the bug):
>
>(a) Take a Red Hat 9 box, without Mozilla installed.
>(b) Upgrade to RPM 4.2.1.
>(c) Try to install the mozilla-* packages from RHL 9. Because of the
>lack of epoch promotion, IIRC some of the mozilla-* packages will
>conflict with other ones, and it will fail to install.

I think that on RH 9 rpm should be upgraded to 4.2-1 release.  It has no
epoch problems and it is very hard to get it stuck (unlike the stock
4.2-0.69).  I've used it on at least hundred machines with RH 9 and only
once did I manage to get it into state where rpm db rebuild was
necessary (but that was on a build machine with very heavy rpm use).

Josko P.