[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 02:27:39 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 17:28 US/Pacific, Chuck Wolber wrote:

> Nearly veering the topic into the ground...

;p

> I was under the (probably
> mistaken) impression that the kernel had to know about your mpeg
> hardware
> to actually make use of it. Will bttv or v4l handle it somehow?

Just gotta have the right kernel modules loaded. You can do everything
in MythTV with stock Red Hat kernels (though I don't).

> (pulling the topic out of the nosedive)

Heh....

> Since we're fedora legacy and we're going to support 7.3, do we have to
> remove the MP3 stuff? I know the answer is no, it's just a troll to
> possibly elicit discussion about adding the MP3 stuff back into 9.

Not likely, per Jesse's message. Red Hat more likely than not won't let
it ride on their mirror system...

^^^
The only sentence from me keeping this message relevant to the list...
;p

>> Are you familiar with MythTV at all?
>
> Yeah, very much so. I evaluated it for our book (Linux Toys, coming
> out in
> the next week or so. Search for it on Amazon. We could really use some
> good reviews).

Cool, will do. Co-authored by the RHL Bible guy, I see. Definitely
looks like something I'd enjoy reading.

> At the time MythTV sucked pretty badly.

There have been a few bumps in the road, most definitely, but it is
pretty damned solid now. I've got it recording and playing back
probably about 10 shows per week, plus its interfaced with my entire
digital music and movie collections. Check it out again, I think you'll
find it is worlds better now. Out of curiosity, how long ago was the
time at which it sucked pretty badly? :)

> I decided to use
> webvcr+ and ended up taking over the project.

Aha. I'm going to spend some more time looking at it myself. I
absolutely love my MythTV box now though (esp. since getting an Audio
Authority VGA->Component Video adapter to feed my HDTV).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...