[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 12 16:28:14 UTC 2003

On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 01:41 US/Pacific, Chuck Wolber wrote:

>>> The TACLUG meeting is the week after that. If you guys are willing to
>>> make the trek down to Tacoma, we can all meet then. A group of us
>>> usually meet afterwards as well for beer and dinner.
>>
>> Heh. That weekend, MY family has plans. :-\
>
> Ack! Maybe we should just keep this thread alive until the next GSLUG
> meeting ;)

Perhaps. You didn't really miss a heck of a lot yesterday. Not a huge
amount to talk about just yet, so it was more of a chance to see people
in-person. Jesse talked to the masses for a few minutes to explain what
was going on, recruit additional help, etc., and a few of us talked
briefly afterwards. Still waiting on hardware, bandwidth, and final
words from Red Hat on a number of issues. Jesse's now on the Red
Hat/Fedora merger list also. (Jesse, please do pipe up if I've left
anything out).

>> Any chance you could make it to the Tuesday evening Unix Group
>> meeting?
>> Not really much time to talk though...
>
> I could give it a shot. It's seaslug.org right?

Correct. The agenda for Tuesday night just got posted late last week
also. Someone from Amazon will be speaking.

>> But I assume it stores something in a standard format, unlike
>> MythTV...
>> Myth now has a web front end to schedule (and delete) recordings now
>> also. I definitely think the two projects could help one another out
>> in
>> some way (if only by swiping ideas from one another).
>
> Good point. I remember reading about that nuppel video format. Plenty
> of
> recorders support it now.

Yes and no. It isn't the standard nuv format, it is a slightly modified
one, optimized for MythTV's needs, but mplayer does support playback of
MythTV's nuv files now. Not really certain about any other player. For
the most part, I actually use a WinTV PVR-250, which captures mpeg2
files (via a hardware encoder), and is now fully supported by MythTV.

> The benefit to WebVCR+ is that it is basically a
> web based scheduler that uses your own recorder. Consequently you get
> files in whatever format you want. Currently I use an mjpeg codec in an
> avi file format.

MythTV does only mpeg4 or rtjpeg in nuv with a standard v4l device,
mjpeg w/an mjpeg hardware-encoder card and mpeg2 w/an mpeg2 hardware
encoder card. Oh, and mpeg2-ts/mpeg2-ps w/a HDTV tuner card. I think
what you lose in initial file format inflexibility is overcome by
MythTV's automatic commercial detection and flagging, after which you
can set MythTV's transcode daemon to auto-transcode a commercial-free
version of your recording out to whatever format you like. (Such as an
SVCD-compliant file). I watch almost all my TV sans-commercials now. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...