Red Hat 8 (and soon 9) support

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 1 17:27:29 UTC 2004

With the Red Hat 9 support ending with the end of this new month, I took
a minute to reflect on the Red Hat 8.0 support in FL.

Red Hat 8.0 support in Fedora Legacy seems pathetic.  We had a functioning
apt-get for RH 8, I tested it (and am still using it) and it seems to work.
It was put on hold for "upcoming changes upstream" and that's the last I
heard of it.  Why couldn't we release it as it was (assuming it was working,
which it appears to be) and then release another version when the upstream
changes came in (can't apt-get update itself)?

And there is still no yum for Red Hat 8.0.  Is there a reason for this?
I've asked before and got no answer.  I supposed I could submit one, but
unless I get an answer as to the status of it (reason for it not existing)
I probably won't.

If we can start hashing out the RH 8.0 stuff before the flood of RH 9 stuff
comes in, we'll be in better shape.

I know if I had a working apt-get for RH 8.0 I'd do more testing of the
RH 8.0 test-releases than I do now...  I bet a few others are in the
same boat.

What, if anything, can I do to help?

--
Eric Rostetter