ethereal security problems

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Apr 2 02:54:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:56:53AM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:
> Red Hat fixed the security issues in Red Hat Linux 9 by upgrading to 0.10.3.

I looked at this a bit closer.  From advisories it follows that
version of ethereal used on "legacy" systems are indeed affected by
the issue.  Also problems were indeed fixed by bumping up a version
and not by patching what was used so likely we should do the same.

I attach a spec file and two patches which are "carry-overs" from
the previous version (i.e. parts which make sense).  Other sources
listed there come from either ethereal-0.9.16-0.73.2.legacy.src.rpm
_or_ from  ethereal-0.10.3-0.90.1.src.rpm.

There is more protocols supported and even if some "leftover" files
from libtool were dropped the whole thing is quite a bit bigger.
It installs and works for me just fine.  It was only a light testing
but it captures, saves to a file, loads from a file, filters.

I did that on RH7.3 installation.  Most likely this fits 7.2 as
well.  How this should be done for RH8 I have no idea.  Probably
something similar.  Go for it!

> and RPM reports missing files.

Some new files are needed. 'ethereal-gnome' content looks the
same but 'ethereal' ends up with 102 entries on a list.

  Michal