Legacy going to move...?

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Fri Apr 2 14:45:15 UTC 2004

> You seem to be suggesting that Fedora legacy will support 7.x while
> there is a community to do so, but will drop support for FC1 community
> interest or not.  Surely that's not right?
>
> I appreciate a minimum supported time for FCx being defined, but after
> that FC1 should be in the same boat as RH9.  If there is a large enough
> user community why shouldn't support continue?

I'm taking a logical guess at this, but with there being so many FCx being
released (due to the very fast release schedule) there would be many many
releases to follow up on. This contrasts with the 7.2/7.3 and 8/9
releases. The goal of Fedora is to release about 3 times a year, so you
can imagine that after a year there will be about the same amount to
maintain as the past previous releases over 3 years! And that compounds...
after 2 years, there will be 6 releases of Fedora to maintain. It just
becomes one big headache to maintain it all.

And anyway, Fedora was not intended to be used in "stable" applications
like servers without upgrading. It is expected that you would constantly
upgrade... so the Fedora Legacy project would be providing you some extra
time to make that transition (eg. test your applications on the new FC
release). It is not intended to replace the constant upgrading, just delay
the process a bit to give you some leeway to eventually upgrade. The
difference with the RH7.x and 8/9 releases is that there is no upgrade
path, so they must be supported directly... and besides, they won't
increase in number now, so it is much easier to provide support for a
"static" release, where the quirks are known, rather than the FC
releases... each with it's own quirks and new features/bugs.

Of course, the big wigs at the Fedora Legacy may disagree with me... but i
think the above is a logical way to explain it, if not the only reason :-)