On FLP's kernel updates for RH8

Barbara Pennacchi b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it
Tue Apr 13 17:53:45 UTC 2004

On 13.04.04 18:58, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

> The 'linux.bak' tag in lilo.conf is put there by yum, not by the kernel

Nope, I haven't yet installed yum nor apt on the rh8 box. And I cannot nor
I would want to test yum/apt on a running website :D (and this answers a
previous email about those two programs). Until EOL of RH8 I used up2date
for kernel updates (it complained about the absence of grub too, but
installed everything anyway without removing old kernels). Hope this
clarifies everything because I'm not right away in the mood for re-
explaining from the start what was up2date's behaviour (which was what I
expected when I took the RPM from FLP's site...)

For what concerns yum/apt, again: sorry folks, but I'd rather wait for
yum/apt to get declared stable for RH8 before starting to use it
(whichever one wins... :)

    | *** WARNING WARNING WARNING *** EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGED! *** |
    |          *** USE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW ***          |
    | IF YOU KEEP WRITING TO THE OLD ADDRESS IT IS NOT MY FAULT! |

Barbara Pennacchi                              b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it
              --  Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche  --
          Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione
                   V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia