On FLP's kernel updates for RH8

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 13 18:05:28 UTC 2004

Quoting Barbara Pennacchi <b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it>:

> it all went ALMOST well. Only the kernel RPM gave me some problems:
>
>  - it didn't like the fact that I used LILO instead of grub.

How so?  (I use it with RH 8.0 + LILO without any real problems, though
there are some issues, like entry name too long, or failing to update
lilo if your lilo.conf isn't standard).

How did you install the kernel?

>  - it behaves differently from previous RPM kernel upgrades: where
> I expected to find the older kernel sitting peacefully in /boot/ together
> with the new release and its tag in lilo.conf moved down to something like
> "linux.bak", this FLP's RPM somehow managed to wipe off the previous
> kernel from /boot/ ....and mess up with lilo.conf!!! argh.

Again, how so, and how did you install it?

> Had to download the deleted kernel from archive, re-install it, then
> manually rename all files related to the newer kernel, editing lilo.conf
> by hand, trying lilo only to see it complain.

Or read the kernel release which documents the problem you likely saw.

> I then removed the ".legacy" thing from the newer kernel's related
> filenames, then try again "lilo" (with fingers crossed), then peek again
> inside /etc/lilo.conf and /boot/ to verify that everything matched.

You don't need to rename any files.  Just change the name tag in your
lilo.conf to make it shorter.

> I don't know if I have just been plain unlucky (Italians would say
> "ammazza, aho' che sfiga!"...) or if other people have encountered similar
> problems with this specific kernel release from FLP.... But I think that
> maybe next kernel releases from FLP should try to behave like previous
> RH's kernel updates... (or put a warning about that different
> behaviour :-)

The only reported problem (name too long) is mentioned in the release,
and was covered on the mailing list several times.

The only unreported problem probably would affect other installs besides
FL as well.

> (Never been keen on letting up2date do its work automagically: I've always
> updated my RH boxes personally -- methinks I'll keep doing that way :-))))

That is why yum defaults to not updating kernels. ;)  Other than kernels,
you're  probably safer using yum/apt than doing it by hand...

> Sorry if my email isn't cluttered with geeky details like release nbrs and
> such, but I'm about to close down the whole hulabaloo and go home ;)

Well, you need to at least tell us the command you used to install the
kernel or we can't help explain any problems.

--
Eric Rostetter