On FLP's kernel updates for RH8

Barbara Pennacchi b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it
Wed Apr 14 16:41:29 UTC 2004

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> How so?  (I use it with RH 8.0 + LILO without any real problems, though
> there are some issues, like entry name too long, or failing to update
> lilo if your lilo.conf isn't standard).

Maybe because I never installed grub in first place? Up2date complained
only that it couldn't find any grub-related files to modify when
installing the new kernel, but didn't complain nor say anything about the
lilo.conf file (I modified it a bit because I wanted back the classic
"LILO:" string white on black, but didn't touch anything else)

> How did you install the kernel?

Hum. After reading all your replies I realized that until now I let
up2date manage the kernel up2date whenever I launched it. Aside from rh8
rpms, I had very few non-rh8 packages (like fwbuilder) on it. And those I
installed with rpm -Ivh, then updated them with rpm -Uvh....

BUT somehow, I assumed that using rpm -Uvh with this flp's kernel update
would be akin to up2date's behaviour. (cringe -- well, I hadn't yet done
my stupid thing of the day :/ when I started trying to pull that act and,
of course, I thought it a bit WEIRD that to upgrade a kernel one had to
use "Install").

Ok. Sorry.

> > I then removed the ".legacy" thing from the newer kernel's related
> > filenames, then try again "lilo" (with fingers crossed), then peek
> again
> > inside /etc/lilo.conf and /boot/ to verify that everything matched.
>
> You don't need to rename any files.  Just change the name tag in your
> lilo.conf to make it shorter.

I think that the tags "linux" and "linux.old" or "linux.bak" weren't the
problem. Lilo didn't complain before, as I said. Up2date usually liked to
put in lilo.conf the new kernel as two entries, with both the full name
release and the "linux" tag, bumping the older kernel to "linux.bak", but
I usually removed the duplicate entry with the longer tag, before hitting
lilo.

After reinstalling back the former kernel, I pulled a backup of the lilo.
conf and, after I dutifully modified it to reflect the 2 kernel versions
("legacy" thing in filename included!) tried telling lilo.conf that
"linux" was the blahblah.legacy.blah and "linux.bak" the older kernel.

But lilo choked.

Only after removing the "legacy" string from both lilo.conf and actual
filenames and make the symlinks point to them, lilo was finally satisfied.

(sheesh, sometimes I feel a bit of an idiot :)

OK -- I'll put up a post-it on my monitor saying "kernel upgrade? use rpm
-Ivh, you idiot!" (for next time I have to upgrade kernel again)

Sorry for having bothered you in the first place :)

|         WARNING WARNING WARNING *** EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGED!         |
|                  USE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW                  |
|     IF YOU KEEP WRITING TO THE OLD ADDRESS IT IS NOT MY FAULT!     |
| Barbara Pennacchi                          b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |