RPM conflicts between glibc-devel and glibc-kernheaders

Juri Haberland juri at koschikode.com
Tue Aug 3 11:33:12 UTC 2004

Michael Kratz schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my (now) redhat 7.2 box to redhat 7.3
>
> However one issue I've come across is glibc-devel... when I try to
> upgrade glibc-devel I get this issue:
>
> <snip>
> I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
> [deps: glibc-devel.i386]
> [deps: glibc-kernheaders.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> </snip>
> Getting glibc-devel-2.2.5-44.i386.rpm
> Getting glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16.i386.rpm
> Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
> Errors installing:
> ('file /usr/include/sys/acct.h conflicts between attempted installs of
> glibc-devel-2.2.5-44 and glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16', (6,
> '/usr/include/sys/acct.h', 0L))
> <snip>
>
> it then lists a whole swag of files...
>
> 1. anyone know why is this occuring?
> 2. can I override it by installing manually and forcing the RPM's? is
> this likely to bork anything?

Hmm, there must be something wrong at your side. I did such an upgrade
myself a couple of days ago and it went smooth without any error.
Also my glibc-kernheaders package does not include any files in
/usr/lib/sys/.
Are you sure that you changed the yum.conf to point at the 7.3 repository?
Are you doing a 'yum update' or a 'yum upgrade'?

Regards,
Juri