Lurker Suggestion: Retro-name RHL to Fedora Core 0.x

David Kewley kewley at caltech.edu
Fri Aug 6 23:54:27 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote on Friday 06 August 2004 14:30:
> On Friday 06 August 2004 14:23, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Sure, when RH stops pushing updates for it.  Tentitive date is
> > > the release of FC3 Test 3.
> >
> > Test 2, actually. See
> >
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/
>
> Whoops.  I stand (sit) corrected.

The full announcement is:

"The Fedora Steering Committee proposes to transfer Fedora Core 1 to the
Fedora Legacy Project at the point Fedora Core 3 Test 2 is released.
This is currently scheduled for September 13, 2004.

This represents a one month extension from the original timetable but an
extension we hope will enable the Fedora Legacy Project to receive
considerably better quality access to the codebase.

For more information on the Fedora Legacy Project, or if you wish to
join the team please see http://fedoralegacy.org/."

-----

Now, I'm curious about a few things in this announcement.  <time passes
as I browse fedora.redhat.com...>  Well now actually just one thing,
because I just looked up details on the Fedora Steering Committee (four
Red Hat employees) and the current errata policy (errata produced until
2-3 months after the subsequent release).

Here's my question.  What is meant by "an extension we hope will enable
the Fedora Legacy Project to receive considerably better quality access
to the codebase"?

Or to split it into two parts: What is "considerably better quality
access to the codebase"?  And since the schedule extension is
reportedly helping to romote this access, what is going to happen
publicly or behind the scenes in the coming month before FL takes over
errata production for FC1?

I more or less represent a group of university sysadmins who are rolling
out FC1 and are disturbed that non-legacy errata support is about to
end (of course we have no one to blame, just concern about what we're
going to do next).  We'd like to feel we can count on timely errata
from FL, but so far we're unconvinced that'll happen.  Do y'all
anticipate some change that will promote more-timely FL errata?

I know one reply I'm going to get on this list: If you're so concerned,
why don't you contribute time to Fedora Legacy so things happen
faster?! :)  Indeed, I'm evaluating right now how I want to get
involved.

David