moving from xfree86 to xorg

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat Dec 4 23:25:47 UTC 2004

> How do I move to x.org? SHOULD I move to x.org, or is that an immense
> pain in the @$$?

Hi (from one of your former students, BTW) --

What are you hoping to achieve?  As far as I know there's nothing wrong with
XFree86, and nothing other than licensing issues to argue for Xorg.

If there's a package for xorg, I think it is as simple as a yum command, but
if not, you might be building your own.  I've not seen any xorg packages
provided for FC1 or FC2.  Building might be painful.  To check, try querying
your yum repository to see if you can find what you want.  Alternatively,
you can upgrade to FC3 and get it.

If you try your own upgrade, hang on to the XFree86 config file; xorg will
use it if there's no xorg.conf.

Erik Hemdal