web site ammendments for yum

Raphael Clifford raphael at clifford.net
Wed Feb 4 09:52:03 UTC 2004

[...]

"The very last line of the page says:

See also the <link>Documentation</link> page for more information on using yum.
Which if you follow that Documentation link will show you the yum page you want.
"

Yes. That is where I got the link I pasted from.

"
Bottom line is I don't use apt, I don't use yum,  I am not a mirror, so
I can't really document these things.  If someone who uses apt/yum provides
me with accurate content, I'll put it on the web.  If someone sets up some
mirrors and feeds me the data, I'll post it on the web.  But I can't do it
all alone...  Well, actually I will try to do it alone if no one else steps
up, but it will take a long time to do it...  So please, if you can help,
step up and help!
"

I am by no means an expert but I am a yum user so I know the basics.  If there are any specific questions then please ask and I will do my best.

Overall I think it would be good to have a page with an obvious name ("Download" is good. So would be "Getting Started") that a non-expert will go to and will provide all the info needed to get started.  A minimalist structure could be like this (I've attached annotations in between XXXs. Sorry this isn't a diff)

a) Installing and Upgrading packages

In order to install packages from Fedora Legacy, you could manually
download and install individual packages from the fedoralegacy.org (XXX
link XXX) tree, however it is recommended instead that you install one
of the automatic package management programs apt (XXX link to page with
apt packages for fedora-legacy and any info for unsupported redhat
versions XXX) or yum (XXX link to page with yum packages for
fedora-legacy and any info for unsupported redhat versions XXX). Both
apt and yum package managers handle automatic downloading and
installation of packages you specify, and are preconfigured to use the
Fedora Legacy repositories.

After installing apt or yum, you may optionally set it up to use some
mirror sites. To setup apt/yum to use mirror(s), please see the mirror
list <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/mirrors.php> and choose the
closest and fastest mirror(s) for your location. Then edit your client's
configuration file (apt uses /etc/apt/sources.list while yum uses
/etc/yum.conf) to use this mirror. You may skip this step if you
downloaded the preconfigured apt/yum packages although it is recommended
that you return to it once everything is working correctly.

b) Getting started with yum/apt

Once you have got the preconfigured yum/apt packages installed you may
update packages on your system following the standard instructions here
(XXX link XXX)

c) Package Repositories

Specific packages can be found at http://download.fedoralegacy.org/ with
support for the apt and yum update tools (XXX is this true? I mean what
can a user do with that piece of information? XXX)  (as well as direct
downloads). There is a tree for each supported OS version, and each of
those trees has a standard set of sub-trees. Fedora Legacy updates will
be published in the "updates" sub-tree along with any existing
distribution updates.

In addition to the Fedora Legacy updates, there is other software
available in different sub-trees. The sub-trees for each OS version
supported are organized as follows:

os
    Packages from the original distribution.
updates
    All applicable updates from Red Hat, Fedora Core, and/or Fedora Legacy.
updates-testing
    Updates from the Fedora Legacy Project currently in the testing
    phase before they are published for distribution.
legacy-utils
    Support tools for Legacy servers such as yum, apt-get, etc.

d) Links

For further documentation on related topics see
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraDocuments

I am not at all clear what the relationship between www.fedoralegacy.org
and  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraDocuments is.  There seems to be a
lot of info in the latter that is not in the former but some overlap.

Cheers,
Raphael