OT: Apt and the kernel

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 7 08:20:31 UTC 2004

Axel Thimm wrote:
>>That is older apt, and apt from FreshRPMS and other paackagers.
>

> What? Where did you pick that one up? ATrpms is deploying apt
> 0.5.15cnc5 for quite many repos (and all RH dists for RH7.3 to FC1
> BTW), is obviously the latest and still does not upgrade kernels by
> default, which is a matter of policy, neither bug, nor
> feature. Personally I am fine with forcing the user to chose a kernel,
> since this is probably the perfect example of not using plain stupid
> EVR upgrade paths.

Again you automatically assume I am poking at you.  Notice how I say
older AND apt from other packagers.  older was meant to mean older
fedora.us apt versions.

>>apt from fedora.us (soon to be published for Legacy too) is totally
>>not made to be used for automated upgrades like some people
>>currently use yum.  As a result, our apt is set to offer to upgrade
>>to the latest kernel if it is available.
>

> You mean apt from fedora.us will require interactive sessions? I don't
> believe Panu would permit castrating his work like that ;)

Panu is exactly the one that setup the defaults this way.  Nothing stops
the user from changing those defaults and making it auto-upgrade capable
though...

Warren