OT: Apt and the kernel

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 7 07:29:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:48:56PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Cameron Moore wrote:
> >How about another dumb question?  Okay, here goes...
> >
> >Apt never seems to notice that a new kernel package is available for
> >updating -- I have to explicitly list the available kernel packages and
> >install the new one.  Is this a bug or a feature?  In either case, is
> >there a way to fix this annoying behavior?  I've seen it happen before
> >on a different package, but I don't recall what it was.  Thanks
>
> That is older apt, and apt from FreshRPMS and other paackagers.

What? Where did you pick that one up? ATrpms is deploying apt
0.5.15cnc5 for quite many repos (and all RH dists for RH7.3 to FC1
BTW), is obviously the latest and still does not upgrade kernels by
default, which is a matter of policy, neither bug, nor
feature. Personally I am fine with forcing the user to chose a kernel,
since this is probably the perfect example of not using plain stupid
EVR upgrade paths.

> apt from fedora.us (soon to be published for Legacy too) is totally
> not made to be used for automated upgrades like some people
> currently use yum.  As a result, our apt is set to offer to upgrade
> to the latest kernel if it is available.

You mean apt from fedora.us will require interactive sessions? I don't
believe Panu would permit castrating his work like that ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de