Thoughts on legacy...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 15 18:25:44 UTC 2004

Chris Spencer wrote:
>>When will people understand that a community project needs more than a
>>"one man gang" who just tries to push it forward? Warren Togami's
>
> problem
>
>>is, he can make a project look as if it is alive and happy when in fact
>
> it
>
>>is in serious lack of contributors. Well, at fedora.us, for instance,
>
> it
>
>>is not a problem if some 50+ packages for educational programming
>>languages [and other stuff with a very special target group] seem to

It is not clear to me who wrote this, but if somebody feels that I made
it seem like this project was doing well, then they totally have not
been paying attention.  I have been expressing my displeasure quite
vocally, to the point of threatening to kill the project a week ago to
avoid giving false hope.

Instead I stuck around and continued to advise the folks in the IRC
channel despite my limited time and me near a point of burn-out due to
lack of sleep.  They made some progress, but what is necessary now is
people asserting themselves and taking the necessary steps to complete
publication of packages, and fixing the website & documentation so there
is something of substance here.

Otherwise, talk is cheap.  I acted while I have no interest in actually
using this project.

>>in the queue forever. But with Fedora Legacy, the project should have
>>tried to be ready 1-2 months ago already and know exactly how to get an

"should have" is unhelpful.  I had hoped that the so called "leaders"
who had stepped forward many months ago at certain companies and
Universities that supposedly depend on this software and its continuance
would have taken the necessary initiative and prepare things.

But sadly early in December this project had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and it
appeared that nothing would be done.  I then wrote the first draft of
the launch plan and sent it to those who expressed wanting to be
leaders.  I had ZERO responses from these people.  The rest you have
seen on this list.

Warren