New PHP 4.3.8 RPMS Released

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Fri Jul 23 07:32:40 UTC 2004

Hi Stuart,

> > That's interesting how you say that, you don't have a RH8 system and
you're
> > making a recommendation based on that. Before FL dropped RH8 support, I
ran 5
> > large RH8 production servers, never had a problem with any of them and
really
> > never needed to upgrade, they were humming along just fine.
>
> I said I didn't have a RH8 system, not that I had never had one. RH8
> has major problems with the RPM database system with RPM
> transactions benchmarked to take over 4 times longer than RH7.3.
>
> Sure.. they'll be just fine if you leave them alone but then so
> would a Slackware 2.0 machine. :) However, as soon as one attempts
> to do any sort of RPM development or even update RPMs on a regular
> basis (I'm in the webhosting arena and PHP, Apache and Control panel
> updates are common) the RPM system goes to hell.
>
> *shrugs* You've switched to RH9 now? Ironic. ;)

FC1 actually :). Yeah, RPM has always been an issue in RH8 but for the servers
that my company was running that problem didn't play such a big role, remember
also that FL released the patched RPM package manager which resolved those
issues.

For me, I just don't like to see "bad press" about an OS that was production
quality and ran in production just fine, sure it had a couple of hiccups, just
like any other OS does, but to say the least it was certainly still better
than Windows production servers.

Michael.