8.0 packages to QA

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 7 20:23:23 UTC 2004

Quoting Pedro Canadilla <PEDROCJ at terra.es>:

> It's a pity. I remember a paragraph from the FAQ...

Yes, it is a pity.

> "For supported Red Hat Linux releases, we will continue to issue
> back-port security or critical fixes for as long as there is community
> interest, but for at least another 1.5 years from their official Red Hat
> End of Life."

Yes, we would seem to be violating that "at least 1.5 years from their [EOL]"
part.

> Another one: "We are currently supporting Red Hat Linux 7.2, 7.3, 8.0
> and 9 as these have reached their End-of-Life (EOL). We will provide
> support for these Red Hat releases for as long as there is community
> interest."

That part is correct.

> There are people that have interest in rh8. Perhaps not so many as
> others releases. Maybe it should say: <<as long as there are majority of
> users from your distribution rather than others (democracy?) or there
> are an algorith that determine that yours is relevant (ramdom?)>>.

No, the community interest is correct.  There must be community interest,
which in the common usage for an opensource project means that there
must be more than 2 people willing to support/develope it.  So far, there
has not been more than 2 people will to develope for RH 8.0.

Don't confuse community interest with people paying lip service to wanting
something.  Community interest means people getting involved and
participating,
not just saying they are interested in it.

> I understand the lack of resources of fedora legacy as I understand the
> lack of resources from the hardware to upgrade to 9 or to FC1 as some
> people has told here. I understand that 1.5 years is time enough to get
> investment to replace the obsoleted hardware, but 0.5 years is not.

I think the 1.5 year statement is an issue.  But the lack of support is
also an issue.

--
Eric Rostetter