Redhat 8 to 9

Michael Kratz mkratz at internode.com.au
Thu Jun 10 02:40:57 UTC 2004

> In my limited experience, an RH 8.0 to RH 9 upgrade via apt-get works
well,
> but isn't for the faint of heart. I've also done some other upgrades.  My
> results are:
>
> RH 6.1 to RH 6.2 via apt-get   Works really well, no problems.
> RH 6.2 to RH 7.x via apt-get   Many problems that must be worked around.
> RH 7.2 to RH 7.3 via apt-get   Works okay, only minor problems.
> RH 8.0 to RH 9   via apt-get   Works well, except it uninstalls a few
things
>                                 including apt itself, which must be
> re-installed
>                                 afterwards.

Anyone done a 7.1 to 7.3 upgrade? I'm wanting to do one of these also.

Last night I decided to be a bit daring and started upgrading select
packages on my RH 8 box to the RH 9 versions, I avoided crucial system
stuff, and I haven't done all of them. The only one that broke out of all
the ones I did was Squid. When I restarted squid it couldn't find the error
files, it was looking in something like /usr/share/squid/errors/ when they
were actually in /usr/share/squid/errors/English/ so I just moved them up a
directory and squid was happy again.

The only other thing I ran into was when I upgraded some stuff to do with
RPM, and then I did a rpm --rebuilddb, after that YUM stopped working, so I
tried upgrading it to the latest version 2 (instead of version 1) and that
fixed that issue.

About the only custom stuff I run on both my RH 8 box and my RH 7.1 box is
Amavis with Sendmail. Some of the perl stuff for Amavis has been installed
using CPAN not RPM's. This is the thing I am most concerned about breaking
because it took me ages to get it working.

--
Michael