Redhat 8 to 9

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 10 02:56:31 UTC 2004

Quoting Michael Kratz <mkratz at internode.com.au>:

> Anyone done a 7.1 to 7.3 upgrade? I'm wanting to do one of these also.

Yes, I did one.  Based on the problems I had with it, the next machine
did a 7.1 to 7.2 to 7.3 upgrade instead. ;)

There were issues going from 7.1 to 7.3 directly.  I got it to work,
but it was easier, though more time consuming, to do the 7.1-7.2-7.3
sequence (no reboot for 7.2).

> The only other thing I ran into was when I upgraded some stuff to do with
> RPM, and then I did a rpm --rebuilddb, after that YUM stopped working, so I
> tried upgrading it to the latest version 2 (instead of version 1) and that
> fixed that issue.

Very often I've had issues of apt and yum either uninstalling during an
upgrade, or not working afterwards.

> About the only custom stuff I run on both my RH 8 box and my RH 7.1 box is
> Amavis with Sendmail. Some of the perl stuff for Amavis has been installed
> using CPAN not RPM's. This is the thing I am most concerned about breaking
> because it took me ages to get it working.

Yes, sounds dangerous.

I've also seen problems with python during upgrades since it at some
point goes from python 1.5 to python 2.x.

--
Eric Rostetter