Redhat 8 to 9

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 10 02:51:27 UTC 2004

Quoting ral77 <ral77 at bellsouth.net>:

> At the monthly LUG hackfest I was talking to a couple people about
> upgrading redhat 8 --> rh9
> and it was mentioned to boot the rh8 system with the redhat 9 install
> cd #1 and select upgrade

Yes, that is the proper and recommended way to do it.

> anybody see any pitfalls in this method versus apt-get or yum.

Downtime, and potential after upgrade exposure with an unpatched RH 9
machine if you don't have a good firewall or local update method.

The *only* good reason to do it via apt or yum is to avoid downtime.  If you
can afford the downtime, you should upgrade from the CD, then install
the needed patches in some secure method.

> I do have physical access to the redhat 8 server.

That certainly makes upgrading via the CD easier.  If you can live with
some downtime, use the CD.  Only try apt/yum if you need to minimize the
downtime (or just like experimenting ;)

--
Eric Rostetter