Redhat 8 to 9

ral77 ral77 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 11 19:41:03 UTC 2004

ral77 wrote:

> Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 12:00, Michael Kratz wrote:
>>

>>> I've got a redhat 8 server, and out of interest I configured yum to
>>> use the
>>> redhat 9 repositories, then toyed with yum update <insert popular
>>> package>
>>> (i.e. apache, sendmail, etc) what is interesting is that with some
>>> of these
>>> theres very few dependencies to do the upgrade. (i.e. dependency for
>>> sendmail was tcpwrappers, and thats it)
>>>
>>> My question is, is this a bad thing to do, and would it really break
>>> anything by upgrading some things to the Redhat 9 versions?
>>>

>> Personally I've just upgraded my server with apt-get upgrade from RH 8
>> to RH 9. Works so far, with 0 downtime.
>>
>> Bas Vermeulen
>>

> At the monthly LUG hackfest I was talking to a couple people about
> upgrading redhat 8 --> rh9
> and it was mentioned to boot the rh8 system with the redhat 9 install
> cd #1 and select upgrade anybody see any pitfalls in this method
> versus apt-get or yum. I do have physical access to the redhat 8 server.
>
> thx's

<snip>

A follow-up on my successful rh8 --> rh9 upgrade.  The server is behind
a firewall  and I am the only user ,
primary services are samba and nfs, and 3rd party apps mplayer, gkrellm,
fluxbox.

1)  Booted from cdrom with  cd#1 redhat 9 install and selected the
upgrade option.
      (about 48 minutes , used the 3 install cd's)
2) Downloaded from rhn the current rh9 kernel 2.4.20-31.9.i686.rpm
    rpm -ivh 2.4.20-31.9.i686.rpm  and edited /boot/grub/grub.conf
[default=0]
    rebooted
3) Installed yum for rh9 and updated the packages ( I have a  /var
partition with 600Meg available
and yum cached about 380 Meg of updated packages)
 rebooted
4) rpm -e the rh8 gkrellm and the plugins and reinstalled the 2.1.21
version and plugins.
    Fixed some entries in the /etc/tripwire/twpol.txt  and updated the
policy file.
    Tested samba, fluxbox and mplayer okay as well as the /nfs mounts fine.

Best regards,