Redhat 8 to 9

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Jun 10 07:38:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:
>
> >> Very often I've had issues of apt and yum either uninstalling during an
> >> upgrade, or not working afterwards.
> >>

> > i'd be impressed if yum removed something that was not obsoleted during
> > an upgrade. The code that follows out removal dep trees is never
> > encountered during an upgrade request.
>
> That is why there is an "or" in there.  For instance, if you upgrade RH 8.0
> to RH 9 via apt-get using the FL test version of apt-get, it uninstalls
> apt during the upgrade!

Apt follows it's own extremely strict requirement of leaving no
unsatisfied dependencies after any given operation to the point of
self-termination. When doing dist-upgrades with apt you should always
point it to all the target distro version's third party repositories
you're using, not just the OS itself to avoid these things (and actually
get a much smoother upgrade). Mm.. that's a bit unclear sentence perhaps,
what I mean is that if you're using lets say RHL 9 with freshrpms and want
to upgrade to FC1, you need to point apt to FC1 os component AND freshrpms
built for FC1 before proceeding with the upgrade.

	- Panu -