Redhat 8 to 9

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 10 17:50:40 UTC 2004

Quoting Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at welho.com>:

> Apt follows it's own extremely strict requirement of leaving no
> unsatisfied dependencies after any given operation to the point of
> self-termination.

Which is probably good.

> When doing dist-upgrades with apt you should always
> point it to all the target distro version's third party repositories
> you're using, not just the OS itself to avoid these things (and actually
> get a much smoother upgrade).

I only use FL stuff.  Problem was I was using the FL apt for 8.0 (testing,
no release), and there is no RL apt for 9, so it had no chance...  This
is a big problem with FL right now (missing yum and apt packages for
various OS versions) that I really wish was a higher priority than it seems
to be.  But that's life...

> Mm.. that's a bit unclear sentence perhaps,
> what I mean is that if you're using lets say RHL 9 with freshrpms and want
> to upgrade to FC1, you need to point apt to FC1 os component AND freshrpms
> built for FC1 before proceeding with the upgrade.

It was clear the first time.  My problem is lack of FL support for APT/YUM
plain and simple.  I appreciate the work done by you and others on getting
apt and yum out for FL.  Don't get me wrong, I *really* appreciate all your
work.  Unfortunately, more work needs to be done yet in this area.

Since the "official" advise on the FL web site is to use apt or yum, we
should make getting an apt/yum for each OS a high priority, IMHO.

--
Eric Rostetter