YUM help

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Tue May 4 21:10:35 UTC 2004

Ugo Bellavance wrote:

>>I want to make sure my yum.conf file is correct... it seems
>>strange to me that
>>I should be getting a URL of
>>www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/Null/os/i386/headers
>>The "Null" is the part that's throwing me... it appears that
>>the mirrors are
>>not synced yet... all I'm getting is "404" errors...
>
> I think the "Null" is the problem.  It looks that it cannot resolve the value of the $releasever variable.

In which case, define it manually using:

releasever="9" or whatnot.

Do you have a custom /etc/redhat.release file (or is it missing
all-together)?

Also - pertaining to the original config:

 >[updates]
 >name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
 >baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
 >baseurl=ftp://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu/mirror/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
 >baseurl=http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

It could easily be said with a single baseurl= line, as long as each
entry starts with one or more spaces or other white space. To simplify
reordering the lines "as needed" in my case, I write it this way:

baseurl=
   ftp://<url2>
   http://<url3>
   http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

This allows me to reorder the list or comment out line by line in vim
w/o needing to replace the first baseurl line. I'm not sure if defining
it as above will superscede the previous definition or append. If the
former, it's a bad thing, if the latter, then my way's just another way
of going about it.

Additionally, the "updates" section may be redundant since
updates-released usually contains Red Hat supplied updated as well as
legacy packages.

Finally - I'm seeing a mix of two versions here. Part of the INI
pertains to fedora core specifically, and the other part pertains to Red
Hat 7.x-9.

Attached is a copy of my yum.conf which I use with Red Hat 8.0 (running
Yum 2.x and an updated RPM). My Red Hat 9 config will soon look the same.

HTH,
-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.