State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 20 21:23:37 UTC 2004

Quoting Michael Kratz <mkratz at internode.com.au>:

> I've personally got a Redhat 7.1 box and a Redhat 8 box both of which I've
> considered upgrading, however I'm very skeptical about doing it for fear of
> it stuffing up. (these boxen are in production!) :)

It is going to depend on the services you run, etc.

> How well does the upgrade happen? does it keep config files and so forth?

Depends on your services, etc.  7.1 to 7.3 shouldn't be a big deal.
7.x to 8.x has some things to watch for (wu-ftp -> vsftp, apache 1.x
to apache 2.x come to mind) which can cause upgrade problems for you
if you use those services.

For me, it is more of a customization issue than a technical issue.  I've
got lots of custom software that I need to keep intact.

--
Eric Rostetter