State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy - compromise?

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Fri May 21 00:19:52 UTC 2004

> For me, it is more of a customization issue than a technical issue.
I've
> got lots of custom software that I need to keep intact.

Same goes for the Redhat 7.2 and 8 systems I admin. Downtime is also not
really an option, otherwise they would have all been upgraded to 9 a long
time ago.

If full support cannot be provided by Fedora Legacy, perhaps some sort of
compromise (the hated word!) can be reached between full support and no
support at all. There are some private people rolling their own packages
and making them available for download, but then you risk having no
testing at all (and also that the person won't trojan the packages or
something).

As mentioned, perhaps 7.2 and 8 can be put in a slightly different status
than "full support". I don't know what resource is lacking... is it no one
is making the packages for 7.2/8, or not enough people doing QA for 7.2/8
packages, or something else? But at least making the packages available
for download, even if not QAed as much as 9, would be far better than
nothing, because there are bound to be more people doing QA on Fedora
Legacy packages than there are for some person's private package
repository.

Also, if you want to know how many people are running Redhat 7.2/8 and
need the updates, then it would be pretty simple... do a bit of extra
effort to QA the packages already available, make sure yum/apt is
available for 7.2/8, and announce it available. See the number of people
downloading over 1 month... and compare it to say 7.3 and others, and see
if it is worthwhile to support it fully. I'm sure the server admin has
access to these logs, and simply webstat software like analog or webalizer
can be used to see this.

Just my 2 cents on how to resolve this issue.

Jas