fedora-legacy-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 24

Howard Owen hbo at egbok.com
Thu May 20 22:53:10 UTC 2004

Point three of the Fedora objectives
(http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives) says:

"3. Do as much of the development work as possible directly in the
upstream packages. This includes updates; our default policy will be to
upgrade to new versions for security as well as for bugfix and new
feature update releases of packages."

This is less conservative than a distribution designed to run for years
performing a particular workload. The word "unstable" isn't mentioned in
the objectives, but point one of the "non-objectives" is:

"1. Slow rate of change."

OTOH, point seven of the objectives is:

"7. Promote rapid adoption of new releases by maintaining easy
upgradeability, with minimal disturbances to configuration changes."

I can attest that the FC1-FC2 upgrade worked extremely well for me.
I had to turn off acpi because of my old SMP hardware, but other than that
change to grub.conf, I made no configuration changes at all, and it Just
Worked(tm). For the leap in kernel technology the upgrade represented, I
think that's remarkable.

Businesses I have knowledge of have shied away from Fedora Core because of
the rapid rate of change issue. In my opinion, folks who have taken the
plunge with FC1 on production machines really need to seriously consider
upgrading to FC2. This is in line with the objectives quoted above. Red
Hat and the volunteers at the Fedora project seem to have tried awfully
hard to make that as smooth as possible. (c.f. *not turning on SELinux by
default.)