State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 21 03:01:44 UTC 2004

Quoting Howard B Owen <howen at cisco.com>:

> There are very economical commercial patch services for legacy systems.
> If it's one server, five bucks a month (six month minimum) will get you
> Progeny Transition Service support. (http://transition.progeny.com) If
> you are planning to upgrade after the spring quarter, it sounds like all
> you would need would be sixty bucks.

* Economical is in the eye of the beholder.
* We have no idea how long Progeny et al will continue the support.
* My spring quarter is over next week, so if I upgrade then, I sure
   don't want to buy 6 months of support for the no longer installed O/S

> The point is, the more popular releases are more likely to be deployed
> on a larger number of servers. Apart from the project resource issues,
> concentrating on the releases with a greater installed base may provide
> most of the value in places where money is tight.

Progeny et al may take the same attitude, and then the there would be
no support left...

--
Eric Rostetter