State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy - compromise?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 21 04:01:22 UTC 2004

Quoting Jason Lim <maillist at jasonlim.com>:

> Same goes for the Redhat 7.2 and 8 systems I admin. Downtime is also not
> really an option, otherwise they would have all been upgraded to 9 a long
> time ago.

Exactly.

> than "full support". I don't know what resource is lacking... is it no one
> is making the packages for 7.2/8, or not enough people doing QA for 7.2/8
> packages, or something else?

For 7.2, it appears to be a problem of getting them QA tested.  For 8.0,
there is a bit of a chicken and egg issue as we don't have the needed
support there (apt/yum/etc) for people to even conveniently use the
packages, etc.  I'd think we'd see more 8.0 usage if the apt/yum/rpm
issue was resolved.

I know I've personally tried to do QA on the 7.2 and 8.0 packages, but
I've been one of the very few.  And since it takes multiple votes to
get a package out, my single vote doesn't help much.

> But at least making the packages available
> for download, even if not QAed as much as 9, would be far better than
> nothing, because there are bound to be more people doing QA on Fedora
> Legacy packages than there are for some person's private package
> repository.

Well, maybe not as far as functionality, but I trust FL more as far
as trojan/corruption/etc than most other sources.  As far as functionality
QA we still need testers, and more than just a couple.

> Also, if you want to know how many people are running Redhat 7.2/8 and
> need the updates, then it would be pretty simple... do a bit of extra
> effort to QA the packages already available, make sure yum/apt is
> available for 7.2/8, and announce it available.

Yes, indeed. One other thing that was originally mentioned was a web vote
for which versions to support. I never saw any such vote setup though
(either it wasn't or I missed it).  Would give a good count of how many
active people use/want what versions supported.

> See the number of people
> downloading over 1 month...

Not fair, since 7.x people may have apt/yum doing daily automatic upgrades,
but since there is no apt/yum for 8.0, you won't see the same type of
automatted hits.

> Just my 2 cents on how to resolve this issue.

Appreciate the discussion (not matter what the out come).

--
Eric Rostetter